TABLE 1. OUTLINE OF LITERATURE REVIEW PROCESS
1. Conduct meeting/call to determine preliminary search strategy
• Clinical practice guideline subcommittee chair and vice-chair in collaboration
with the epidemiologist to determine initial search criteria and terms.
• Librarian/epidemiologist documents proposed search strategy.
• Search for meta-analyses and evidence-based clinical guidelines first, including
Cochrane Reviews, NICE guidelines; only perform a primary literature search
starting from the date that last evidence-based clinical guideline ended. If updating
an existing AAP guideline, use Elsevier’s SCOPUS abstract and citation database of
peer-reviewed literature to search/determine which manuscripts cited prior guideline.
2. Conduct scout search. Initial search to include at a minimum: MEDLINE, CINAHL,
EMBASE. Document search strategy and number of documents retrieved.
NOTE: AHRQ has restricted search on occasion to randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
and treatment studies. It