Book Review Format
What You Need to Know
1. A book critique is not a book summary;
2. A book critique is not a book synopsis—it is different from what you wrote for other
3. A book critique is not simply your opinion of whether or not the book is good or bad;
4. A book critique is not what you find on the book jacket or Amazon.com or other bookselling websites.
What Else You Need to Know
1. A book critique is a literary analysis of the book you have chosen;
2. A book critique is your opinion about what the author is communicating through the book
and how he or she does so;
3. A book critique does require you to address the literary elements of the novel, not just
provide a plot summary.
Therefore, Your Critique Should Have . . .
1. a title;
2. a bibliographic heading in MLA format for the book;
3. an introduction paragraph that provides some type of background for your discussion of
the novel (this could include a biographical note about the author (properly cited), a summary